02 January 2018

A New Year's resolution that we should all adopt: cut down on the amount of plastic in our lives


The UK's recycling industry says it doesn't know how to cope with a Chinese ban on imports of plastic waste. Britain has been shipping up to 500,000 tonnes of plastic for recycling in China every year, but now the trade has been stopped.

At the moment the UK cannot deal with much of that waste, says the UK Recycling Association. Its chief executive, Simon Ellin, told the BBC he had no idea how the problem would be solved in the short term.

I try to live a green life, but there are definite blind spots... Biggest one: I've always got 500ml plastic bottles of water in my car. As soon as I've used up the dozen or so that I have left, I'm switching to my trusty SIGG bottle. No more disposables, and an instant reduction in plastic recycling / waste. No one person can fix this global issue, but we can all help - by reducing our personal plastic footprint.


No comments:

Post a Comment