07 September 2018

Don rides the 2018 Honda Gold Wing - a Tour de Force!


Today Bri & I went up to South Coast Honda, in Chichester to try out the all new 2018 Honda Gold Wing DCT. Big thanks & Mikey, Nick & the crew.

The 1st thing that strikes you about this bike is it's big - not as big as they had become in latter years (Honda shaved about 50kg off this model!) - but big when compared to most ordinary bikes. Lets put it this way: my Crosstourer is no tiddler, but the Wing is over 100kg heavier! Sounds scary? Actually not at all: as soon as you sit on this fantastic bike, you notice the weight is so low down & well balanced - even putting the bike on & off stands (side & centre) is a snap. Amazing!

Riding is a joy - the 1800cc 6 cylinder powerplant is a dream. Loads of torque, smooth rapid acceleration, 4 riding modes, DCT gearbox (automatic - effectively), with wait for it: cruise control! Suspension is sublime: using a really clever double wishbone system, bumps and potholes are dealt with beautifully, but road feedback is great. Cornering is a joy: a big bike, but I could have it on its side round corners - didn't ground out either!

The spec sheet is unbelievable: fab sound system, electrically adjustable screen, heated grips & individually adjustable heated seats, airbag, keyless ignition, smartphone integration, loads of luggage capacity, forward & reverse crawler gears, the list goes on!

While playing around with the screen, I noticed on the A27 at motorway speeds, and with the screen at it's highest setting, wind totally misses the rider, but (somehow) gently pushes you forward, taking the load off your back - impressive for touring & long rides. While on that subject: when I engaged cruise control - oh what joy! Boy, wish I had that when we did our Camino...

I have to say this is a very special bike: I've ridden loads of different makes & models, but nothing like this! I've loved the Wing since the early 80's (Aspencade), but have never ridden one. I had a feeling that I'd ride it, bring it back & say: glad I got that out of my system. It wasn't like that at all - I loved it!

However, I see three slight problems:
1) The DCT model is just shy of £30k - ouch!
2) You'd need something smaller as well.
3) Need to get points 1 & 2 past the financial controller. Oh, well...

More photos here / South Coast Honda / Gold Wing

No comments:

Post a Comment