24 May 2024

Mike & Don visit the Norton Motorcycle factory in Shirley, Solihull

 

For some time Mike & I had been planning a two day trip on our bikes up to Brum. The plan was: Day one (Weds 22nd May): Norton factory tour & test ride. Day two (Thurs 23rd May) the National Motorcycle Museum. Dates & visits arranged, pub stayover booked, plans in place! However, as that day approached the weather round Brum looked grim. We bottled it & left the bikes / took Kim's Mini ;0). Just as well as it turned out: day one varied between constant rain & Biblical - literally couldn't see the surface of the motorway at one point!

When we arrived at Norton we were warmly welcomed by the lovely receptionist, then joined by Kevin from sales. He showed us round their collection of bikes in reception: several historic machines & variants of their two current models: Commando 961 & V4. The Commando 961 is a classic looking machine, built to very modern standards (reliable LOL!). The V4 is a state of the are superbike that ranks up there with the best of them!

We then commenced the factory tour! Sadly no-one is allowed to take photos / video in the factory itself. However here is an amazing drone flythrough video they produced earlier! This covered most areas of the plant: parts stores, welding, polishing, engine assembly, rolling chassis assembly, dyno / rolling road, and the various levels of checks to finished bikes. Attention to detail is unbelievable - skilled staff are involved throughout the process.

As the weather was still chucking it down we decided that taking the Commandos out would have made a lousy test ride, so kept our fingers crossed for the following day. We drove to our pub The White Lion Inn, Hampton in Arden & also had a drink & some really tasty Indian nosh at the Soho Tavern, Hampton In Arden

Day two, no rain, so we decided to abandon plans for the NMM visit (another trip there is planned for next month!). I called Kevin at Norton and hastily arranged for a test ride. We drove over, got introduced to our bikes & were off! We rode our two Commando 961 SPs 40+ miles over two hours, from the factory in Shirley: South through Henley-in-Arden, down to Stratford-upon-Avon. By some miracle we didn't get lost as Mike & I are both pants with directions / navigation. God Bless Kevin for numpty proof instructions!

The weather was cool, overcast. The roads were dry & scenery stunning! The first hour I struggled to gel with the bike - but it was me - or at least my mindset. I was trying to ride the Commando like I ride my Honda - which is a very different bike. When I started adapting my style to the way the Norton wants to ride: I had a hoot! Mike loved his Commando from the get go. The difference between us is that his two bikes are Triumph Modern Classics. A much closer style of bike to the Commando than my Honda CB1000R+.

Pros: Stunning design & looks! Fantastic build quality & attention to detail. Hand built in England. Top drawer componentry (Ohlins front & rear suspension, Brembo brakes, etc). Ride quality & grip is astounding! Fantastic soundtrack from the twin cylinder air/oil cooled engine & delicious exhausts! 

Cons: Could do with more grunt (my CB1000R has 143bhp, Commando has 77). Turning circle is very wide. Vibes can be intrusive. The bike I rode had click up footpegs which I kept getting tangled up with - this has now been resolved in current production (spring loaded pegs). The sidestand was a bit fiddly to drop down.

I have a deep love of the Norton brand, going back to when I was a sprog. That's why there's been soooo many articles about them on my Blog - I truly care about Norton: it's heritage & future. 

Both of Norton's current bikes (the Commando & V4) are superb. The V4 is "above my pay grade" LOL! The Commando is stunning, I'd love one, but probably not as my only bike. Deffo in the fantasy garage along with a Gold Wing Tour & CRF250L

Mike adds: I own a Bonneville T100 and a Street Twin and I considered them to be the best retro-style machines until I rode the superlative Norton Commando. 
This IS THE true British retro motorbike. Its looks and sounds are unsurpassed, it is full of character and a delight to ride. 
The sound of the engine is the best around and once the bike was warmed I had a lovely smooth ride on the best-looking motorbike.  When I opened the throttle ...my goodness!!!! ...the vibration through the footpegs and seat was just brilliant. 
If I had an unlimited budget it would be my choice for the ride on a sunny day to meet up with like-minded friends to admire a thing of beauty.

Massive thanks to Norton, & Kevin in particular to give us this fantastic opportunity. I'd love to relive him of a black & gold Commando 961SP, but sadly not for now, at least...

Link to Google Photos

www.nortonmotorcycles.com


1 comment: