30 November 2023

And now for something completely different: a mountain bike that thinks its a motorbike, or is it the other way round?

 

Mike & I went to Motorcycle Live last week & had a brilliant time - there was lots of great stuff to grab the attention ;0). 

One of the two bikes that I rode on the day was a mad thing called a MECR-X. A tiny light electric motorbike that rode like a mountain bike - without the pedals. I totally loved it! As you might have noticed, I have a thing about motorcycles LOL! Also I enjoy cycling: my Specialized RockHopper Pro (which I've had for 15+ years) is a brilliant mountain bike. The MECR-X is somewhere in-between. Really light & stumpy, fast handling & accelerating. You might have seen bikes like this in the news recently, for all the wrong reasons...

They were demonstrating the MECR-X & other bikes in the electric test ride zone - and gauging feedback. After my ride (so much fun!) I had a chat with the peeps on the stand. Target price was £2500-£3000 - I said I be happy to have one! However, after thinking about this a while, I have to temper that comment... What we have here is something from a Chinese company that no-one has heard off, with little or no dealer network, spares, after sales, etc. Now, Sur-Ron is a player in a similar space - that has been around for a few years. Their bikes are £4500-£5500. However: for that sort of price you can (more or less) get a proper bike like a Honda CRF300L with a real support network & known longevity...

Hmmm: lots of fun to be had here, but still not convinced that small electric motorcycles are ready for primetime, yet...

www.e-tiandi.com


No comments:

Post a Comment